Roll forming of aluminum profiles
Aluminum is a perfect material for the roll forming process. More and more companies are opting for roll-formed profiles made of aluminum. This material is ideal for innovative designs that pursue sustainable goals.
Aluminum also offers a great deal of freedom in design. It also has the advantage that its properties and structure are greatly improved by the roll forming process. Hadley’s engineers will be happy to discuss your options with you.
Roll forming of aluminum Including in-line machining
Roll forming is the process of producing an aluminum profile from strip material. The manufacturing process is continuous. The aluminium rolls through various stations with sets of rollers that roll the profile into the desired shape. During this process, various shaping steps can be performed in a single line, such as through-printing, cutting, decorating, perforating, and bending.
That means little or no post-processing is required. Roll forming differs from production techniques such as extrusion or folding. This process shortens the production time. This in turn results in a faster delivery of the products. In large quantities, always with the same specifications — and the same high quality. Learn more about the advantages of roll forming:
The strengths of aluminium
Aluminum is easy to work with, easy to weld, and offers many options for surface treatments. In addition, aluminium has several other strengths:
- Aluminium is a lightweight metal that is about one-third the weight of steel.
- It is load-bearing, which forms a strong combination with the low weight.
- It is weather resistant.
- It is sustainable: aluminium is one of the most abundant elements on earth, and is available in large quantities. In addition, it can also be easily recycled.
- It has a naturally aesthetic look It can be further embellished and protected by anodizing or painting.
The machining of aluminium
Aluminum is generally easier to machine than steel because it is softer. Machining aluminum requires 2 to 3 times less force than machining steel or a metal of comparable strength. In the roll forming process, the aluminum is formed into the desired shape while cold. Since machining is relatively simple, this process is faster than for steel, for example. Rollf-forming in a cold state also has the advantage that aluminum gains strength as a result.
We advise you on the right aluminium alloy
There are many different aluminium alloys. Each alloy has special properties and strengths. Some aluminum alloys have a high material strength, others are particularly wear-resistant, and others are distinguished by their aesthetic qualities. The best choice for your product depends entirely on your needs. The malleability of an alloy also plays an important role. Our engineers will be happy to work with you to find the best solution for your product.
Roll-formed aluminium profiles for multiple markets
Our aluminum profiles can be found in many products. Sometimes they are visible, and sometimes invisible. Areas of application include:
- Automotive industry: Lightweight, sustainable and beautiful materials are a must here — just like a high level of consistency and accuracy. Roll-formed aluminum profiles are optimal for meeting these requirements. Hadley Group is certified to IATF 16949.
- Construction: e.g. frame profiles, facade cladding, roofs and ceilings.
- Interior fittings: e.g. cladding, rail systems, cabinets and office furniture.
- Mechanical engineering: e.g. printers, printing machines, and machines in the textile, paper, and packaging industries.
- Household appliances: aluminum profiles give the appliances a unique look. With designer devices, this is definitely a plus point.
- Air conditioning systems: e.g. ventilation systems, heat exchangers, thermal ceilings, floors and walls.
- Lighting industry: e.g. fixtures.
The strengths of Hadley
Hadley Group is a global specialist and technical leader in roll-forming processes. We have production sites in the UK, the Netherlands, Germany, the Czech Republic and Slovakia — and we’re also active in Asia and the Middle East. Our roll-formed aluminum profiles give our customers a high-quality product and an efficient production.
- We manufacture profiles with a wall thickness from 0.3 mm to 8 mm and a width of up to 1.3 m.
- Guaranteed high dimensional tolerances from ± 0.05 mm.
- We know the quality requirements of the industries with regard to profiles. We can provide measurement reports, colour test and SPC reports.
- Our engineers will be happy to advise you right from the start. They are familiar with the possibilities of roll forming aluminum, and will work with you to find the best solution for you and your customers. By working together at an early stage, you not only gain new insights, but can often save on costs as well.
- More than 50 of our technicians and engineers work in research and development every day. We design and develop our machines and tools ourselves.
We’ll be happy to get in touch
With Hadley, you’re not just choosing quality, speed, and cost efficiency. You’re choosing collaboration and partnership. Want to know more about roll-formed aluminum profiles — or make an appointment to talk about your project? Then contact us for a no-obligation chat.
Hadley: Shaping the future in metal