An opportunity has arisen within our Technical Centre of excellence for a Controls Engineer to work as part of a multi-disciplinary engineering team to design and program control systems from a wide range of complex, special purpose electromechanical machinery for the metal forming industry. The role entails a split of desk based electrical design and practical machine-based support.
The role will require occasional travel within the UK and internationally between Hadley group sites.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Design electrical control systems for the operation and integration of new and existing special purpose machinery.
- Produce electrical drawings and schematics to agreed standards and regulatory requirements (e.g. circuit and panel diagrams, quotes, parts lists/BOM’s and safety and CE documentation).
- Develop electrical design specifications and provide specialist knowledge of machinery control systems.
- Provide high quality technical support (particularly fault finding, troubleshooting and diagnostics) for a wide range of special purpose machinery.
- Participate in the design review process.
- Support the department in the scoping, development and integration of emerging technologies.
- Hands on involvement and support of the build, installation and commissioning processes as required.
- Investigate and evaluate new components, concepts, methods and technologies.
- Support the internal maintenance function as and when required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree qualified in relevant discipline or significant industrial experience with relevant training (e.g. NVQ/HND/BTEC).
- Relevant electrical design experience (ideally with special purpose machinery).
- Use of AutoCAD Electrical required, ePlan desirable.
- Significant experience programming PLC’s from scratch. Experience with Bosch Rexroth, Siemens & Allen Bradley would be preferable.
- Good general computer skills including MS Office.
- An understanding of the Machineries Directive, in particular CE conformity and ability to support in the compilation of technical files/manuals for CE marking.
- Experience with Servo Motors, Drive Systems, Inverters, Industrial Sensors and Encoders
- An appreciation of mechanical design principles, especially relating to hydraulic and pneumatic systems and mechanical actuation.
- Awareness of the relevant British and International standards relating to machine safety and ability to carry out risk assessments.
“Please note we do not accept speculative approaches from agencies and will not pay fees for submissions received unless you have been engaged by our HR department”